26 January 2015 / Club News

The Mighty Carn win

The mighty Carn entertained Tref y Clawdd in this fixture on Waunfawr Park.

Cwmcarn with the loss of Dan Woods and Mike Peacock before the ko with injuries sustained in the warmup had to re adjust their selection with permit player Dan Evans starting with Welsh Deaf international Gareth Price moving to 10.

Cwmcarn started the game playing up the slope into the strong southerly wind. This advantage suited the Tref y Clawdd who scored with a well worked try within 10minutes. The game continued with Cwmcarn battling against the slope and wind forcing themselves into the Tref 22 being awarded a penalty for offside which Gareth Price duly converted.

The slope was proving a great advantage to Tref as the they were constantly camped in the Cwmcarn 22, but stout defence by the 'Carn kept them from scoring. It was inevitable with the amount of pressure on them Cwmcarn were to yield and try came which was duly converted.

Going in at half time the score was 3- 12 to the visitors, but it was now Cwmcarns turn to have the advantage of the slope and the wind, through out the this half the tables were turned and the Cwmcarn forward power came to the fore, with the Tref y Clawdd scrum yielding at every put in, Cwmcarn Hooker Hone taking 4 against the head, the forwards power was matched by the backs guile with deep kicks to corner giving the visitors headaches at every turn. The home sides pressure paid off when at a 5mt scrum the visitors scrum half gave a fumbled pass back his 10 who failed to minor, Dan the "Roid" pouncing on the ball and the try was his.

With the score at 8 12 Cwmcarn attemted to attack at every oppurtunity, with Gilchrist and Bartlett- Legge combining well in the centre. with this Tref y clawdd adopted spoiling tactics with loose head prop recieving his 10min rest in the bin after consistant slowing down of the ball, Price again converted the score at 11-12 and the slope too much for the Tref forwards who were tiring in the western valley mud.

Another attack by the homesters seen the mid Walians 10 also relegated to the bin for a deliberate knock on. The game continued another penalty in front of the posts, which should have been taken but was instead taken on a quick tap which failed to advance the score, The supporters were in shock surely Carns' chance had gone with only minutes left on the clock, again another chance another penalty in front of the posts which this time was easily converted by the reliable boot of Price.

With the score at 14-12 Cwmcarn were on the cusp of a well deserved victory from the restart ,with only a minute on the clock ,Tref y clawdd were awarded a kickable penalty. You could taste the tension in the air at Parc du Waunfawr, even the Cwmcarn soccer boys stopped to watch this final kick, with everyone on the Cwmcarn side willing the miss, the visitors 15 stepped up to seal the victory for his team only to be twarted by a combination of the wind, mud and prayers of the Cwmcarn faithful. VICTORY!!!!!!

Well done to the Cwmcarn Squad on the day, the preperation before the match is as important as the game, Congratulations to new signing Chris Hastings on his debut for theclub and congratulations to Carl Hone for being voted Man of the Match for commitment and influence.

Next up is Malpas RFC,


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments