03 November 2016 / Club News

Abersychan RFC v Cwmcarn RFC

16th October 2016

Abersychan 10  Cwmcarn 33

Cwmcarn travelled to Abersychan, with the word on the street that they were a much improved outfit. They have always been a side Carn have struggled to put away in the past, so with word of their improvement, nothing was being taken for granted. As we lined up for kick-off, I didn’t see too many familiar faces, so it appeared as though Aber had done some recruiting off season.

It was another lovely autumnal day for rugby, although the wind chill factor is that bit more noticeable at the top of the hill. Aber won the toss & chose to play with wind & slope in their favour in the first half (a slightly unusual decision & one that would ultimately work against them).

From the kick-off, Carn collected & took the ball up to the half-way: After a bit of toing & froing, the ball spilled out & Carn’s fastest player, Chris ‘Dimbleby’ Bartlett-Legge, snaffled up the ball & ran 30+ metres to score a solo try. It all happened so quickly that it was hard to take in the detail; but no-one was complaining, as Carn were 5-0 up after only 2 minutes. Complacency was an issue in the previous season & Carn realised that Aber would not just lie down. This turned out to be the case & they were far more tenacious after that. They were aided & abetted by a very vocal partisan crowd watching from the side. It’s safe to say that I have never heard so many F bomb expletives uttered by the fairer sex. It seemed to have the desired effect though.

Aber’s scrum was much improved from last season & I had trouble binding on their loose-head, as he was so wide. All that said; Captain Tanplastic, Jabba took one against the head at the first scrum (Yep you guessed it, his chest inflated again briefly). Thereafter the scrums were hard fought & both tight fives had to work hard. Line-outs were an even affair, though Aber had clearly practiced some moves & made good ground off them.

Both Carn’s & Aber’s back-line were keen to run the ball & it was an entertaining match to watch, with some good attacking rugby from both sides. Before the first half came to an end, Carn would score another try. Cameron Tigger Jones scored a well taken & muscular try close to the line & Carn went in with a not unassailable but deserved lead.

The second half was played at quite a lick & Aber knew they’d have to throw caution to the wind if they were to get back into the game. This meant there were opportunities for both sides to score as tiredness crept in. Player/coach Ieuan Vic Parsons was having fun at scrum half as the game opened up & he was able to find gaps & create space for the backs to run the ball. That said, there was no way he was going to pass if the try-line was beckoning & he scored two classic scrum half tries (I was hoping he’d pass to me on the last one...some chance). Aber were still chasing everything & their flanker was having an excellent game at the line-out & loose play. He had a hand in both Aber’s second half tries, running around Llewellyn’ Jeeves’ to create the space for the tries. The watching crowd became even more vocal in the hope of inspiring more tries. However, Carn battened down the hatches & no more pints were leaked.

For his two tries & live-wire performance, Ieuan ‘Vic’ Parsons (Closely followed by Hoppy)

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments